Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Blessings and Music

I started going to choir a week ago in my ward and have felt the spirit bless my heart. Today after the 3 hour block at church, I went to practice and I was very touched by what the director shared with us about a personal experience she had because of music. It made me think of all the times I've been blessed in my life and there a lot of those times it involved music. Music soothes the soul, touches the heart, brings the power of heaven down and bears testimony of truth when used properly. The songs we were singing today touched me deeply too: Oh What Songs of the Heart (LDS Hymns), and How Great Thou Art (also from LDS Hymns). There were numerous times I couldn't sing the words because my eyes were getting blurry with the tears that came when the songs invoked memories of blessings I have received and brought things to mind of other times I have sung those songs. The words are very powerful and bear strong testimony of divinity and eternal truths of being able to see and be with our loved ones that have gone from this earth. I am so glad that I attended choir today and that God has given me musical talents so that I can experience these kinds of blessings by joining with the other members of the group to make a joyful noise and sing praises to my God. Music can lift the spirit and bring happiness, or comfort when needful. I guess that's why I love watching the Sound of Music, too, because the very hills come alive with the sound of music... Music has brought much satisfaction and pleasure throughout my life. When I was a sophomore in high school and had the mumps during Christmas break, I learned how to play the guitar and from then on I was called 'little songbird' by my mother. I accompanied my father while he played the harmonica whenever the occasion arose and have missed that tradition greatly since he passed away in 1997. I haven't sung much since then, except for church and once in a while with my daughter (who is married and lives in another state now) and I have missed it! So today I am happy that I made the choice to sing with the choir once again. Music, I have missed you and the blessings that come with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment